What – Absolute Beginner Sewing (6 Week Term)
- When – Tuesdays
- Where – Bon Amour Sewing Studio, Ipswich, Qld
- Date – TBA
- Time – 9:30 – 11:30
Absolute Beginner (Baby Friendly) classes are for people who want to learn how to sew from the very beginning. Little Bubs, who are not yet on the move are welcome to join you in classes, however please be aware that you are to take full responsibility. In this class, we will be creating outfits and accessories for babies and little ones. I get asked a lot if those without little ones can also attend this class and the answer is yes; as long as you are ready for lots of cute interruptions.
How do I sign up?
A non-refundable deposit of $50 will secure your spot! Registrations close 4th October! This deposit will be deducted from the total amount. Final payment for the class can be payed in full prior to commencement of class, or over 4 weekly instalments. Total cost for the term is $300.
Please note; courses are subject to sufficient student numbers.
What is included?
- Full tuition and hands on help in a non-intimidating space
- Small class sizes which do not exceed 6
- The Bon Amour pattern from each weeks project
- Some bonus Bon Amour Patterns and tutorials
- Snaps, elastic and interfacing
What do I need to bring with me?
- Fabric and matching thread for each project (refer to the materials list, which is supplied on registration)
- Basic sewing tools (outlined in materials list)
- Sewing machine (Not essential, but recommended if you own one)
Upon enrollment, you will be supplied with the materials list for the term. Although it is advised to bring your own sewing machine with you to class, there are a couple of machines available for use.
What are some of the skills I will learn?
- How to thread your machine
- How to wind the bobbin
- How to read a commercial pattern
- What kind of needle do I use?
- Different types of fabric and uses (knitted, woven)
- How fabric is spun (weft and warp, grain lines, bias)
- Working with different types of fabric
- How to add tags to the edge of a garment
- How to sew a button and button hole
- Working with elastic
- How to hem
- How to sew a curve properly
- Add ribbing to a cuff and waistband or sew a sun dress
How can I help you?
Each project, you will be guided through step by step and able to ask any questions along the way. You will receive the Bon Amour pattern for each project, as well as some bonus patterns and projects along the way.
Allow me to share some of my skill and enthusiasm with you. While we create your projects together, you will be learning the foundations which are applied throughout most sewing projects.
I specialise in teaching beginners. We start at the very beginning from threading your machine and winding your bobbin, to getting you comfortable and confident behind your machine and taking away the overwhelm.
I seek to provide a welcoming, warm, non intimidating space, where you can learn new sewing skills whilst making new friends and having fun.